Private Sector Development and Trade Sector Working Group (PSDT SWG)
The main purpose of the PSDT SWG is to act as a forum for information-sharing and coordination between donors and the PA on issues related to private sector development and trade, as well as the priorities and strategies of the Ministry of National Economy (MNE). The key functions of the PSDT SWG are as follows:
- assist donors in aligning assistance in relation to the PA national plans and strategies for the sector;
- support the development and updating of sector strategies within the framework of national plans and budgets;
- coordinate and harmonize donor assistance to prevent duplication;
- carry out coordinated and strategic dialogue with the purpose of identifying PA priorities and the readiness/availability of the donor community to fund related programmes;
- function as the main source of information for needs and achievements, donor funding and gaps in private sector development and trade;
- develop joint indicators and sector reviews for sector monitoring and programme-based approaches.
Since September 2010, the PSDT SWG has been further supported by the work of four Thematic Groups -TGs (TG on World Trade Organization, TG on Institution-building, TG on Gaza, TG on Small and Medium Size Enterprises).
The PSDT SWG reports to the Economic Strategy Group (ESG) on a regular basis.
Membership in the group is limited to relevant donors and other institutions (e.g. relevant non-governmental organizations, private sector organizations) who can add substantial financial or analytical value, as well as relevant PA institutions.
Co-Chairs: Ministry of National Economy (MoNE) and the World Bank
Technical Advisor: Palestinian Private Sector Coordination Council (PSCC)
PA institutions: Office of the President (OoP), Ministry of Planning and Administrative Development (MoPAD)
Donors: Canada, Office of the European Union Representative (EUREP), France, Germany, Islamic Development Bank (IDB), International Finance Corporation (IFC), Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom (UK), United Nations Development Program (UNDP) United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA), United States (US)
Private sector organizations: Bankers' Association, Construction Union, Federation of Chambers of Commerce, Insurance Union, Federation of Industry, Palestinian Businessmen Association, PALTRADE, Palestinian IT Association, Portland Trust, Shippers' Council, Tourism Association
Observer: Office of the Quartet (OQ)
Secretariat: Local Aid Coordination Secretariat (LACS)